Understanding the importance of garage door maintenance and the steps you can take to improve the efficiency of your garage door is helpful information for all homeowners. Today we’re sharing nine things to know about garage door maintenance to help you care for the largest piece of moving equipment in your home!
1. Garage Door Maintenance Matters for 3 Main Reasons
If your garage door works fine, you may ask, “Why does garage door maintenance even matter?” There are three main reasons why the upkeep of your garage door does matter:
- Garage door maintenance decreases noise – This is especially important if you have a bedroom or living space directly over or adjacent to your garage door. Routine maintenance and lubrication of garage door parts help them run smoothly and quietly.
- Garage door maintenance keeps you safe and secure – Many homeowners use the garage as a storage space for valuable equipment and often use it as an entrance to the home. Keeping up with garage door maintenance ensures that nobody gets stuck in or out of the garage and that potential safety issues, such as a needed spring replacement, are caught early on.
- Garage door maintenance saves you money – Routine maintenance isn’t expensive, but not maintaining a garage door could lead to costly repairs that could’ve been avoided. Save money in the long run and schedule garage door maintenance today!
2. Routine Garage Door Maintenance Increases the Lifespan of Your Door
Garage doors can last from 15-30 years! Several factors impact the longevity of a garage door, and maintenance is one of them. At Choice Garage Doors, we recommend annual door maintenance to maximize the efficiency and lifespan of your door.
3. Garage Door Inspection is the 1st Step in Garage Door Maintenance
Before any work is done on your garage door during a routine maintenance appointment, an experienced garage door technician will complete a visual inspection of your door. They will look for rust, dents, and panel damage. They’ll note wear and tear or obvious damage to hinges, rollers, bearings, cables, springs, etc. If repairs are needed, they’ll communicate those findings to you and make recommendations.
4. What Happens During a Garage Door Tune-Up
During a garage door maintenance tune-up, a garage door specialist will clean the garage door tracks and adjust or realign the tracks if necessary. The specialist will lubricate all hinges, springs, tracks, rollers, and bearing plates and tighten all nuts, bolts, and screws. A balance test will be performed to ensure the door is opening and closing properly. If minor repairs are needed, they may be completed at that time, or another service appointment can be scheduled later.
5. Garage Door Openers Need Routine Maintenance
The garage door opener is responsible for providing the power needed to open and close the garage door. Garage door maintenance, which includes inspecting the garage door opener and testing its functionality, will help the entire garage door system continue running smoothly.
6. The Importance of Garage Door Springs & Why They Break
Garage door springs have a tough job; they hold the weight of the door each time it opens and closes. Depending on the frequency of garage door use, the wear and tear on the springs can cause them to break, requiring a garage door spring replacement. Garage door maintenance helps springs last longer, and spotting issues with the springs before they break keeps you and your vehicles safe.
7. 6 DIY Garage Door Maintenance Tips
Follow these six DIY garage door maintenance tips in between professional maintenance visits to help your garage door work its best:
- Apply a lubricant to the springs every 3-4 months
- Look for loose or hanging parts
- Tighten loose nuts and bolts
- Listen for changes during opening/closing
- Clean debris from the tracks and sensors
- Replace garage door remote batteries
8. Consider Garage Door Replacement for Older Garage Doors
Even with yearly garage door maintenance, garage doors only last so long. Consider a garage door replacement if garage door repairs are needed more frequently. Upgrading your home with a new garage door installation offers many benefits, including smooth operation, the convenience of modern safety and technology features, increased curb appeal and home value, increased energy efficiency, and more.
9. Let the Professionals Handle Your Garage Door Maintenance Needs
Schedule your annual garage door maintenance appointment with your local garage door service company today. Garage door technicians are trained to spot the minor details you might otherwise miss. Our team would be happy to assist you if you live near Afton, NY, or the surrounding areas. Our team at Choice Garage Doors takes pride in our work, and we aim to keep your garage door working hard for you for many years to come. Contact us today!